The Office of Digital Learning provides support for faculty and staff via workshops, consultations, and online resources.
When designing an online, on-site, or blended experience, you’ll want to think about how to best design for the target audience and environment. Instructional design is a systematic process and methodology of designing, developing and delivering instructional materials to align with learning objectives and outcomes.
Individual and department-focused workshops are available that blend effective teaching strategies with technology tools. Contact Brad Katz at email@example.com or 312.567.7213
Is teaching online different than teaching face-to-face or blended?
Yes. There are different audiences (remote and face-to-face students), each with different sets of needs. There are different modes of teaching - in a classroom and in virtual space, that each require a different set of faculty skills.
Recommendations for Illinois Tech faculty to teach online remote students
- Attend & participate in OLC Workshop, New to Online: Getting Started at least 1 semester before an online course is scheduled to be taught.
- Completion of OLC Certificate of Online Teaching
- Attend a training session or otherwise demonstrate mastery of Blackboard Learn environment.
- Attend a training session on Blackboard Collaborate, the web-conferencing tool.
The Office of Digital Learning supports a wide range of technology for both online and face-to-face teaching. Some of the tools supported include the following:
- Blackboard Learn (course tools)
- Blackboard Collaborate (collaboration and conferencing tools)
- Responds Lockdown Browser
- eLearn Magazine
- Flipped Classroom Booklet (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Illinois Online Network
- Innovating Pedagogy Report
- MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching)
- OLC Best Practices
- Quality Matters
- SLATE (Supporting Learning And Technology in Education)
Open Educational Resources (OERs) are teaching, learning, and research resources released under an open license that permits their free use and repurposing by others.